Mako has been a life changing experience for my kids. They don’t just take music lessons; they now have an extended family. Matt and his staff strike just the right balance between teaching, mentoring and inspiring. The summer camps were especially beneficial. After less than one year, both of my kids can play multiple instruments and they actually enjoy having jam sessions (aka practicing)
MaKo is one of the best things that ever happened to my son. First week of camp being over and he’s already begging for the next visit. He made so many friends and has a passion for music likes I’ve never seen him have for anything.
I can’t say enough good things about our MaKo experience. I love the open instruction that really is designed to simply foster the love of music. Our daughter started by taking voice lessons, but switched to guitar along with some singing. If she felt like playing drums, she could do that, too. Best of all is the atmosphere of acceptance at MaKo. All kids are accepted for their differences, quirkiness, artistic ability – in short, ALL of their wonderful-ness! With Matt Koon’s encouragement, our daughter has become more comfortable in her music ability and even performing in front of others. Just AWESOME all around.
Music Camps: 2019 Summer Calendar
Central Virginia’s secret is out, MaKo Music is the ideal music learning environment for children of all levels. From the very beginner to the first chair, there is a lot to learn and a lot to improve on, and we have a record of not just teaching, but creating lifetime positive relationships with music!
The Mako Music Camp has grown in every possible way. Creating lifelong relationships with music as well as making lifelong friends in a positive atmosphere.
Combining Musical education with outdoor education is a natural fit. The connection with music as well as nature will be established for a lifetime! The kids will be busy all day long and will sleep well at night!
Dates and times are subject to change. Please LIKE our Facebook page for up to date information.
Another Legendary Summer!
COST: Kids: $ 165 / Teens: $ 120
- 10% discount for 4 or more weeks!
- 10% discount for siblings!
- Extended Hours: 20$ per kid per week.
HOURS: 9-5 (Regular Hours), 7:30 – 6:00 P.M. (Extended Hours)
THEME: Songs played in our weekly Concert.
FOCUS: 1 week intensive subject
MASTERCOURSE (NEW!): 2x a week class that takes place every week all summer long. (Included in Camp – Small group with Matt). Recommended for multi-week attendees.
- Recording – Kids will record the other kids with pro equipment and instruction.
- Songwriting – kids will learn songwriting and eventually write songs for other kids to play!
EXTRA CURRICULAR: After Camp Activity (not included with Camp)
- Mako Play “The Music Lesson”
- The Mako Summer select group (NEW!)
LIP DUB: Every Week will be made for fun.
TEEN SONG: Different Every Week – striving for perfection and accuracy.
CONCERT EVERY WEEK: Invite all to see what your kids have learned!
Week 1: June 17
- Theme: Reunion Camp
- Objective: Green Day “American Idiot, The Play” Revisited
- Teen Song J. of Suburbia
- Recorded Song: 21 Guns
Week 2: June 24
- Theme: Hip Hop
- Objective: Percussion & Rhythm
- Teen Song: Real Song/Sampled Song Mashup
- Recorded Song: Rappers Delight
Week 3: July 1
- July 4th – We will be closed, God Bless America!
- Theme: America!
- Objective: Have A Great Week!
Week 4: July 8
- Theme: Country Southern Rock
- Objective: Playing Multiple Instruments
- Teen Song: Jessica
- Recorded Song: Tuesdays Gone
Week 5: July 15
- Theme: Beatles Week
- Objective: Songwriting
- Teen Song A day in the Life note for note
- Recorded Song: Come Together
Week 6: July 22
- Theme: “Real” Classic Rock
- Objective: Jamming
- Teen Song: Stairway to Heaven
- Recorded Song
Week 7: July 29
- Theme: The 90’s
- Objective: Stage Presence/Performance
- Teen Song TBD
- Recorded Song written by Master Course Students
Week 8: August 5
- Theme: Eagles
- Objective: Vocals & Harmonies
- Teen Song: Hotel California
- Recorded Song: Original Song by Master Course Students
Week 9: August 12
- Theme: Panic! At The Disco & Modern Rock
- Objective: Recording
- Teen Song: Original Song written by Master Course Students
- Recorded Song To be decided by Students
Week 10: August 19
- Theme: Queen and Musicals
- Objective: Arrangements
- Teen Song: Killer Queen
- Recorded Song: “Once” mashup
Week 11: August 26
- Theme: Reunion/Jam Camp
- Objective: Fun & Musicianship
- Teen Song TBD
- Recorded Song TBD